Skip to main content

tv   The Kelly File  FOX News  August 1, 2016 9:00pm-10:01pm PDT

9:00 pm
name and town. word of the day, do not pettifog when writing to the factor. please remember that the spin breaking news, fierce new fallout over donald trump and his reaction to criticism from a gold star family during last week's democratic national convention. welcome to the kelly file, everyone. for four days now, the story of the khan family and donald trump has been across the headlines it. began when the family questioned mr. trump's knowledge of the constitution and suggested if donald trump had his way, their son would have never had a hans to serve his country. watch. >> hillary clinton was right when she called my son the best
9:01 pm
of america. if it was up to donald trump, he never would have been in america. >> afterwards, the khans made a series of media appearances and mr. trump took to the air waves and twitter and broke an unwritten rule, but publicly criticizing the family. he called it late captain khan a hero, he made comments against the family and that did not go over well, we begin with trace ghallager. trace? >> reporter: in the trump campaign's statement, the very first line emphasizes he is a hero and should be honored for making the ultimate sacrifice.
9:02 pm
just today, trump again criticized mr. khan, quoting mr. khan, who does not know me, vish kwusly attacked me from the stage of the dnc and now is all over tv doing the same. here is the father responding. watch. >> we need to stop fighting with one another. we lead leaders to unite us, not disrespect by derogatory remarks. >> reporter: trump was widely criticized for comments made against the mother. look. >> his wife, if you look at his wife she was standing there. she had nothing to say. she probably, maybe she wasn't allowed to have something to say, you tell me, but plenty of people have written that.
9:03 pm
>> she writes walking onto the stage with a huge picture of my son behind me, i can hardly control myself, what mother could? donald trump has children whom he loves. does he need to wonder why i did not speak? and today, the vfw reminded donald trump lashing out at gold star families, those who lost a loved one is out of bounds, saying, quote, election year or not, the vfw will not tolerate anyone berating a gold star family member. majority leader mitch mcconnell and paul ryan indicated their strong disagreement but have yet to condemn the comments. and tonight, donald trump says he thinks mr. khan is mostly bothered from the comments about
9:04 pm
his wanting to keep radical ice lambic terrorists out of the country. >> joining us, paul riecert, arizona congressman ruben gallego and it's great to see you. >> thank you. >> paul, let me start with you. there is a unwritten rule. you don't go after gold star families. if you're a presidential candidate, you let them beat up on you and you move on. >> that is not what happened here. the outrage has been universe ral and across lines. i think think is more about republican and democrat. this is about honor and integrity. what they've been through is unimaginable. i think there is some push back on the idea anyone can compare
9:05 pm
any sacrifice to what our gold star families have been through is unimaginable. >> they said what have you sacrificed, donald trump? he said i have sacrificed plenty, i'm worked very hard which led to another round of criticism saying you can't compare that to what this family suffered. >> it shows he's clueless when it comes to veterans issues and military personnel and you can attack an issue. you don't attack an family. there is a history of this happening, veterans attacked george bush and they're responded with tact and dignity. >> he said i am a counter puncher. he says i was viciously attacked and i am a counter puncher. >> have some tact. you're attacking scitizens who
9:06 pm
are practicing their freedom of speech. >> one of the worst is suggesting that the mother didn't speak and suggestion is that perhaps she couldn't speak because she was a muslim, perhaps her husband wasn't letting her. and she came out and wrote a powerful op-ed saying i cannot speak when a picture of my dead son is anywhere near me and trump wound up looking defensive. >> i think he did look intensive and i thought the words were poorly chosen. we've seen trump makes statements and walks them back. but trump is not a professional in this game. right? he hasn't spent 30 or 40 years in that game with control. i think that the loss of that captain, taking ten steps to protect his men, it's something we all feel.
9:07 pm
>> toward an oncoming car that add an ied in it. >> that is a sacrifice for agents and as a parent, any parent to lose their child in sacrifices for this country we have to the right to say whatever you want, whenever you want. if he made that statement and gone on there to vsw or come to my town, we all would have supported him. nobody cares if you're muslim, christian, jew, arlington is filled with every religion, race, rich, poor. doesn't matter. but he made that choice. his son made that choice to sacrifice his life, his father made the choice to make that statement on center stage, hours before hillary clinton came on. it wasn't just i lost my son and sacrificed it. and it wasn't i'm supporting hillary clinton. he use that had sacrifice to beat donald trump. i'm sorry but we're not invited. i have the utmost respect for gold star families and friends that i have. but i'm sorry if you use that as
9:08 pm
a political hammer and you come on, you're fair game. >> you've got to do this the right way. have compassion and tact. do what other politicians do. you attack the issue, not them personally. >> did he that, too. you know. the problem is that it was a two-fold response, getting donald trump in a lot of trouble. >> right. right. >> political cost here is not up for debate. john kasich is hitting him on this, john mccain is hitting him on this. there is a bigger issue here. i hope we can understand the sacrifices of gold star familyings. >> do you think he does? >> he probably does now. >> he's a person who says to avoid on std in the 70s and 80s was his own personal battle. >> veterans are the ultimate political jump off. they're not a voting block but a strong voting group.
9:09 pm
our members voted 93%. many are did thes satisfied with both. at the end of the day they're going to vote. >> they may not like this comment. but they don't like radical islamic terrorism. the question is whether -- they don't care if he's not -- >> is that a choice? >> not a decent arguer. but, could -- when it comes to fighting terrorists they may believe in him. >> i think at the end of the day, what military members want, we don't want a friend we want a leader. but we want a leader. and i think that this is again going back to the point that donald trump has not had the years and experience within the political arena. >> gold star families are sacred here. >> you're going toward a different argument. >> no. i'm not. gold star families in this country endured unimaginable
9:10 pm
sacrifice and they're off limits. and the political reaction is showing that. >> george bush had cindy sheehan. he knew how to handle it. >> you guys are awesome, thank you. >> you're cuss aus yum. >> thank you for your service. all best to you. >> the republican national convention heard from pat smith, we've seen her on the "kelly file". the mother of terrorist attack victim sean smith. she delivered an emotional address but her speech was met with harsh criticism in the media. the nation called it a cynical exploitation of her grief. and msnbc referred to as so offensive it was hard to comprehend, one host suggesting pat smith ruined the evening and a writer for gq magazine tweeted out, quote, i would like to beat her to death. yes. joining me now, pastor darrell
9:11 pm
scott, eric guster, attorney and political commentator and steve hays. great to see you. that is the problem. is that you can't take the high ground and you're talking about wanting to beat her to death if it's somebody with a benghazi testimonial. your thoughts, pastor? >> well, pat smith was very emotional in her delivery because she blames hillary clinton for her son's death. and so she was emotional and she called hillary clinton a name out once again because she felt she was culpable on that. khan seems like he was trying to somehow blame donald trump. i believe khan stood up as a political response to her that the dnc politicized his son's death and he he allowed himself to be used in that respect.
9:12 pm
donald trump had nothing to do with his son's statement, at all. i don't know why he mentioned donald trump in the conversation. >> he proposed a muslim ban and he was making a point under donald trump, he and his wife and late son would never have been allowed into the country. he doesn't like the proposal being submitted. >> but that is hypothetical. >> but that is the discussion about potential president is hypothetical. >> in the sense that trump has since resigned that statement to say he was talking about the vetting process. >> pastor, he's refined to it say i've expanded it. that is how he describes it. >> from what i understand, mr. trump refined it in a sense he wants to put a moratorium on immigration until the vetting process is up graded. he wants to ban immigration from any country that struggles with
9:13 pm
terrorism can would have encompassed this family. the father is from pakistan and the son from the uae. the media, you tell me whether they're in a glass house on this one. >> there is not a double standard in these statements. when you look at mr. khan said, he gave a statement and then, donald trump being the 5-year-old tweet-storm guy that he is, came out against this man, came out against his wife, insulted so many people, we're dealing with a child who is running for the presidential office. we have someone that can't control himself. >> why is mr. khan a hero but pat smith, they revolted just at seeing her? >> i can't speak about what
9:14 pm
people feel about her. she's on every other channel, every other day. people may be tired of hearing her message over and over. but the g.o.p. did expose her. they did use her as a pawn as far as putting her on the stage. >> if both sides did that, if you want to say it's politicizing a death of a soldier, both sides did that. steve? what are your thoughts on it? . >> i think they're both wrong. i think mr. khan's speech was the highlight of both political conventions and it was a terrific speech and i think donald trump invited the kind of media frenzy but his attacks on the family and insis stance on keeping the story alive well beyond what it would have been had he not engaged. having said that, of course there is a media double standard. it's not like you had media outlets rushing to interview pat smith a couple years ago, or not
9:15 pm
look liking at charles wood a couple years ago. >> correct. >> i think, you can go back. the main stream media, the broad establishment media decided benghazi is not a story. that is how they treated every aspect of the story. whether talking about congressional investigations whether you're talking about tray gowdy's story. >> they did make it a story. >> there is no question pat smith said things about hillary clinton but had is a woman suffering from enormous grief. she deserves empathy just as mr. khan does, who chooses to deal with her grief in a different way. great to see you. you for being here tonight. taking your thoughts on it. facebook.com k and hillary clinton taking heat again about the latest twist on the interview.
9:16 pm
did you see her interview with george wallace? judge napolitano is here. and is hillary's america becoming the highest-grossing documentary so far this year? we got our hands on a brand new clip you have not seen before. and mr. desouza is here to tell us why he is releasing it now. and ben shapiro banned from a speaking engagement because the cupcakes threatened to act up if he appears. talking about what's happening to free speech in america, just ahead. multiple medications, does your mouth often feel dry? a dry mouth can be a side effect of many medications. but it can also lead to tooth decay and bad breath. that's why there's biotene, available as an oral rinse, toothpaste, spray or gel. biotene can provide soothing relief and it helps keep your mouth healthy too. remember, while your medication is doing you good,
9:17 pm
a dry mouth isn't. biotene, for people who suffer from a dry mouth. what powers the digital world? communication. like centurylink's broadband network that gives 35,000 fans a cutting edge game experience. or the network that keeps a leading hotel chain's guests connected at work, and at play. or the it platform that powers millions of ecards every day for one of the largest greeting card companies. businesses count on communication, and communication counts on centurylink.
9:18 pm
"w"well you don't want to live with mom and dad forever, do you?" "then she says...bazang!" "ok, good one." (laughs) "bazang. remember?" "bazang...you get it?" "bazang?" "yeah!" "uh, how do i check my credit score?" "credit karma, don't worry bud it's free." "ohhhh." "credit karma. give yourself some credit."
9:19 pm
9:20 pm
developing tonight, hillary clinton is taking hits from fact checkers across the board after her latest attempt to explain away her ongoing e-mail scandal. on fox news sunday, mrs. clinton is standing by the false claim that she never sent or received classified information on her home server. now she is saying that fbi director james comey actually agrees with her. "the washington post's" non-partisan fact checker giving that claim four pinocchios, which is its worst possible rating, meaning that's not true. watch mrs. clinton on fox news sunday ask then watch what director comey really said. >> director comey says that my answers were truthful.
9:21 pm
there were decisions discussed and made to classify retroactively certain of the e-mails. >> 110 e-mails in 52 e-mail chains have been determined by the owning agency to contain classified information at the time they were sent or received. >> i relied on and had every reason to rely on the judgments of the professionals with whom i worked. >> any reasonable person in secretary's clinton's position should have known that an unclassified system was no place for that conversation. >> so judge andrew napolitano is here with more. we don't really need a judge to explain to the audience what we just saw there, but go ahead. >> a child knows the difference between lying and telling the truth here. mrs. clinton really attempted -- chris wallace didn't fall for it. the audience didn't fall for it. the media hasn't fallen for it.
9:22 pm
"the washington post" supports her candidacy for president. they gave her their maximum of four pinocchios. what the director said was, we didn't find any falsehood in what mrs. clinton told us. >> right, which would be a felony. >> correct. >> so she was smart enough not to lie to the fbi. >> in a secret, three-hour, non-recorded interrogation. but it is clear that she lied to chris wallace, and it's clear she has been lying to the public about whether or not she received, opened, read, sent on, sent on to sid bloomen thaul, her colleague and friend that works for the clinton foundation, who had no security clearance, material that was secret or top-secret. some of the materials so secret the fbi agents investigating this did not have the security clearance to read it themselves. >> and now the claim that, i relied on my advisers. >> that is damnable, and i'll tell you why. her inner circle of seven closest advisers were just interrogated in a civil freedom of information act lawsuit under
9:23 pm
oath. i read the transcripts of all of their testimony. guess at whom each of them points as the originator, the pro-jen tore, and the creator of this scheme? mrs. clinton herself. she didn't rely on them. they relied on her, and now she wants to throw them under the bus. >> it's fascinating. quick question for you, though. given all the misstatements she's made about her e-mails on camera many times, what should she have said? if you were advising her, i mean what would be a way that she could explain all those and not dig the hole even deeper? >> i don't know because just like your previous segment about donald trump getting in the fight with the khan family, she gets in a fight over the truth, and these things take on lives of their own. >> yeah, there's no good outcome. >> it would be out of her character for her to say, i stand chastised. this shall not happen again. i'm sorry to tell you her character is to lie. it has been her modus operandi
9:24 pm
going back to the white water days. >> she had a 34% honesty rate. 34% of the american public believe she's honest. it went down to 30% after the rnc. now it's back up to 34%. it climbed back up to her previous heights. >> what director comey did not tell everybody was on her first day in office she signed an oath saying i will recognize secrets whether they're marked as secret or not, and i understand my legal obligation to do so. she failed. >> oath, schmoath. what does it really mean? was it in fine print? >> it means very little to her. >> while this is playing out on the sunday shows, a new film about mrs. clinton became the highest grossing documentary so far this year. in a just released clip from "hillary's america" filmmaker dinesh d'souza explores a claim often heard from democrats, that the republican party is racist. >> i want to name some prominent people that have been involved
9:25 pm
with america's racial history, and i'd like to tell me simply if they were republicans or if they were democrats. >> okay. >> let's begin with the inventor of the positive good school of slavery, the idea that slavery was a good idea. senator john c calhoun. >> democrat. >> what about the writer of the dread scott decision authorizing slavery and claiming that blacks have no whites that a white ought to -- >> that sounds like a democrat. >> what about the founder of the ku klux klan, nathan bed for forrest, who was also a confederate general? >> democrat. >> let's now talk about a few more figures in american history who resisted racial oppression. abraham lincoln. >> republican. >> his secretary of state seward. >> republican. >> what about the two leading senators who champions the cause of aboh listism. >> they were republicans. >> what about frederick douglas, the runaway slave who became a champion of the abolitionist
9:26 pm
movement? >> republican. >> there you have it. dinesh d'souza is a documentary filmmaker and creator of "hillary's america," a smash success thus far. why are you releasing this now? >> because i think most people don't know this stuff, megyn. i think that if you asked most americans and most black americans in particular, which was the party of slavery, segregation, and the ku klux klan, they would say that's probably the republican party. but the truth is that was the democratic party. it has a very sordid history. it's never acknowledged it. it's never made any restitution for it. it's never apologized for it. what it really has done is taken the blame for what it did and put it on the south or put it on america. so part of what i'm -- >> how did the narrative start to change in this country so that people say those republicans, they're rifacist. >> part of it is the democrats have put forward this idea of a big switch. the idea is the democrats became racially enlightened in the
9:27 pm
1960s, and all the racists became republicans. now, this notion of a big switch is completely fictional. it rests on one guy, strom thurmond, who was in fact a democrat, a racist democrat. he did become a republican, but all the other riacist democrats hundreds of them, we put actually in the film a list of 1,500 racist democrats on the screen. less than 1% of them switched to the republican party. so the big switch is actually, megyn, a big lie. >> what about affirmative action is one issue on which the republicans generally object, and the democrats generally favor it. that's something that some folks use as evidence of, you know, of racial bias on the part of the republicans. >> but it really isn't because if you think about it, affirmative action is really a form of racial preference. now, the democratic party had racial preferences for whites for many, many decades. now they have racial preferences for blacks. both are equally opportunistic. they had the racial preferences for whites to maintain the democratic party as the party of white supremacy in the south.
9:28 pm
now they're doing it to basically buy votes. in either case, it's cynical exploitation. >> last question. do you ever sneak into the back of the movie theater and watch your own movie? >> i do, and there's the sight of people just standing up and applauding at the end and tears streaming around their cheeks, it's the most beautiful feeling in the world. >> then do you sneak out, or do you proudly walk the aisles like ze dinesh d'souza does anyone know me? >> sometimes i'm in the back of the theater and no one knows i'm there. it's really fun to watch. that's probably the best because i'm seeing people's unedited reactions. >> it would be nice to have some hugs after the fact if they love it, though. dinesh, it's great to see you. >> my pleasure. breaking tonight, the 2016 general election debate schedule is out, and team trump is claiming it's rigged. we'll show you why when john dickerson joins us with his take. plus after ben shapiro agreed to speak at depaul university, some unhappy students complained. ben joins us live to explain why the cupcakes were so upset.
9:29 pm
>> racist go home! (climbing sounds) when kevin jorgeson needs light, he trusts duracell quantum because it lasts longer. ♪ (duracell slamtones)
9:30 pm
get between you and life's dobeautiful moments.llergens flonase gives you more complete allergy relief. most allergy pills only control one inflammatory substance. flonase controls 6. and six is greater than one. flonase changes everything. ♪
9:31 pm
allstate offers a't imagine genuine parts guarantee, that promises to fix your bike with original parts. talk to an allstate agent about all the things they do to keep riders riding. ...another anti-wrinkle cream in no hurry to make anything happen. neutrogena® rapid wrinkle repair works... ...in one week. with the... fastest retinol formula available. it's clinically proven to work on fine lines and... ...even deep wrinkles.
9:32 pm
one week? that definitely works! rapid wrinkle repair. and for dark spots, rapid tone repair. neutrogena®. see what's possible. i've from nature's bounty to support my heart. eating better, keeping healthy. so that no matter what happens in the future, my "future self" will thank me. thank you! 45 years of experience has taught us: no matter what the future holds, you're always better off healthy. nature's bounty you can help prevent blindness in undernourished children across the globe by getting your vitamins at walgreens. walgreens. at the corner of happy and healthy. right now with card, select nature's bounty vitamins are buy one, get one free. >> announcer: from the world headquarters of fox news, it's
9:33 pm
"the kelly file" with megyn kelly. >> new reaction tonight to the 2016 general election debate schedule. donald trump and hillary clinton are set to meet for three contests this fall, and twice those debates are up against big ticket football games. mr. trump is not happy. >> i'll tell you what i don't like. it's against two nfl games. i got a letter from the nfl saying this is ridiculous, and i don't think we should be against the nfl. i don't know how the dates were picked. i don't know why those particular dates -- >> joining me now, host of cbs's face the nation every sunday and a man who's no stranger to mod raili rating debates, john dickerson. what do you make of this? is trump trying to get out of these debates? >> i don't know. is he trying to get out, or is he just negotiating? everything is a negotiation with him. he prides himself on that. so what's he trying to get. it is a plausible case to make
9:34 pm
that he wants a big an audience as possible because his campaign strategy is to grow the pie in the part of the country that he grow the pie.hance in, then he the people who are watching football are in that pie, and he wants them. it makes logical sense with respect to his strategy. it's just you never know where he's going. so this could also have some other design. we don't know yet. >> i feel that i have inside information on this which will come as a surprise to some folks. i think it's about the ratings. i think it is exactly what you just said, and to me there's no doubt about it because when trump and i did our intervi in may and i asked him to sit down with me for my fox broadcast special, the number-one thing he wanted to know is what we were up against. and there was a very competitive show that got 17 million viewers that night. it was the season finale of something, and a main character was being killed off, and he's smart. he knows about ratings, and he says they call me the ratings machine. he likes big ratings. >> he likes big ratings, period, but also his strategy for
9:35 pm
winning the election, he's got to get ratings in a certain part of the party, people who haven't voted before. he's got to -- his theory has always been grow that group of voters, the working class voters that he's been trying to get. >> how do you think this campaign to the others documented in your book? >> well, let's take first we've got two candidates who have very high unfavorable ratings. if you go back and look, the last election where it was like that was 1884. you had grover cleveland, who had a child out of wedlock, and then you had james g. blaine, who had scandals following him like just, you know, like tin cans tied to his ankle. and both of these people were -- people looked at the election and said the lesser of two evils and that's not unlike the way they're looking at this one now. then there's the question of donald trump, who is a totally unique figure. the last businessman in 1940, wendell willky. but my favorite one is 1964. there was a stop goldwater
9:36 pm
movement, which looks exactly like the never trump movement, and it was equally successful. at the end of it, richard nixon said to pat buchanan, if there's ever a stop x movement, you always -- nixon was first against goldwater but then was for him. >> define the importance of these debates in this season. they're always relatively important, right? but is it specially important this time around? >> it depends. if it's still true that there's about 20% of the people that are sloshing around that we've seen in these polls, then those people are going to be looking for who's the most presidential. if it's also true that what the trump campaign says, which is the key test is whether donald trump can occupy the presidency, whether people are willing to hand over the office to him, or is he too risky? the debates can help him. they're actually a chance for donald trump to show, i can perform in this context. it's a context that people think of when they look at the debates, they think, oh, that's what a president looks like. if he steps into that and can occupy that, then he's able to
9:37 pm
clear the single question he has to clear. >> there can be just a moment that changes your opinion of a man or a woman in this case in the debates. look at, you know, when romney backed down on the benghazi thing, which a lot of republicans say what are you doing? george h.w. bush looking at his watch. >> sure al gore ha rumping when george w. bush was debating with him. >> and getting in his space. >> and ford not knowing that there was soviet domination of poland. there's a big upside, and there's a huge down side. >> it's fascinating in our position. i mean if you're lucky enough to be sitting there front and center. but even as a viewer to see how they deal with the pressure. so it is somewhat telling. >> yeah. and people look at him and think -- >> whistle stop. >> yes, suitable for gifts, megyn. >> back in the day, i used to share an office with major garrett who was with fox news, and i would like you to tell him i said hello. >> i will. >> and tell him i now have bought all four of his books on amazon for a penny each.
9:38 pm
>> what am i supposed to do with that? >> john, thank you. >> thanks, megyn. new details in the 15-year-old murder mystery of a washington intern who turned up dead after having an affair with congressman gary condit. the man convicted of her murder was released from jail over the weekend, and coming up her parents are here to tell us why they think a murderer is walking free. plus ben shapiro just got banned from speaking on one u.s. campus, and this is not the first time the little snowflakes have tried to silence him. he's here on what he did to make them so angry this time. with my moderate to severe crohn's disease,... ...i was always searching for ways to manage my symptoms. i thought i had it covered. then i realized managing was all i was doing. when i finally told my doctor, he said humira was for people like me who have tried other medications,... but still experience the symptoms
9:39 pm
of moderate to severe crohn's disease. in clinical studies, the majority of patients on humira saw significant symptom relief... ...and many achieved remission. humira can lower your ability to fight infections... ...including tuberculosis. serious, sometimes fatal infections and cancers,... including lymphoma, have happened; as have blood, liver, and nervous system problems, serious allergic reactions,... ...and new or worsening heart failure. before treatment, get tested for tb. tell your doctor if you've been to areas where certain fungal infections are common, and if you've had tb,... ...hepatitis b, are prone to infections, ...or have flu-like symptoms or sores. don't start humira if you have an infection. if you're still just managing your symptoms, ask your gastroenterologist about humira. with humira, remission is possible.
9:40 pm
test.
9:41 pm
9:42 pm
it takes a lot of work... to run this business. but i really love it. i'm on the move all day long... and sometimes, i just don't eat the way i should. so i drink boost® to get the nutrition that i'm missing. boost complete nutritional drink has 26 essential vitamins and minerals, including calcium and vitamin d to support strong bones and 10 grams of protein to help maintain muscle. all with a great taste. i don't plan on slowing down any time soon. stay strong. stay active with boost®. breaking tonight, the nation's largest catholic school has now banned a popular conservative speaker from speaking on campus. a student group from depaul was recently trying to get ben shapiro to speak when they
9:43 pm
received the following e-mail from an administrator. given the experiences and security concerns that some other schools have had with shapiro speaking on their campuses, depaul cannot allow -- cannot agree to allow him to speak on our campus at this time. and while ben was met with censorship and unruly protests earlier this year, he says this latest situation reveals a serious double standard. ben shapiro is an attorney and editor in chief of the daily wire.com. ben, great to see you. here we go again. >> you too. yeah, exactly. >> what is so objectionable about you? >> what i love the most about this situation is that they don't even see that what i'm saying is so terrible. instead what they say is because i've been met with violence at other campuses, this raises security concerns. they can't keep their own students from assaulting people. so they can't bring in -- >> it doesn't make any sense whatsoever.
9:44 pm
in the letter -- this is the -- let's see. okay. bob janus. he's the vice president of facilities operation who sent out this e-mail. he doesn't make clear what it is that you say that's objectionable, but he seems to be trying to get cover by saying, if you want dinesh d'souza or dana lash, you can have them, but shapiro, uh-uh. >> i have no idea. i mean honest to god, dinesh d'souza was dangerous enough. the obama administration jailed him. so i have a feeling it has nothing to do with my views. they had a convicted terrorist a couple of years ago speak on campus. she's actually a convicted terrorist. i think it has very little to do with what i'm saying and much more to do with the idea that these administrators are so gun shy of controversy that they don't want to tell -- what they should tell the students is, guys, you seem a little bit excitable. hand out some free pot. everything will calm down a little bit, and everything will be all right. i guess they're unwilling to do
9:45 pm
that. >> if you think the students are going to get unruly because they don't like what a speaker is saying, then you might need to hire a little extra security. do you stand for free speech, or don't you? this is how it's been eroded at the edges, and it's getting a little closer to the middle now, ben. it's not even just at the edges these days. >> yaed, that's right. my biggest problem is what they're doing is they're equating words with violent. they're saying the students get violent. therefore my words must be the driving factor. if this is how things are going to be from now on, free speech doesn't exist. it creates an incentive for people to get violent to make sure the people they disagree with don't get to show up on campus anymore. >> the first amendment is there to protect controversial speech. it's not there to protect speech everybody agrees upon and finds very flowery and rainbow and unicorns. it's there to protect speech that may upset you, may be somewhat incendiary because that's the speech that needs protecting. that's actually, depaul, what we happen to stand for as a
9:46 pm
country. okay, ben. great to see you. >> you too. >> every time they cancel him, we're giving him a forum here at "the kelly file." then we're going to let him talk. i'll give him an hour. coming up, over the weekend, the man once convicted of killing 24-year-old chandra levy was released from jail. this is a stunner. and her parents are here next on why they say the prosecutors got this wrong. in 1996, tracfone began with one important belief: wireless should be affordable for everyone. twenty years later, we're still making it easy to save money on smartphones! our new smartphone plan is just $15/month. you get talk, text, and data with unlimited carryover®, with no contract and coverage on one of america's largest 4glte networks. plus, we have new 4g lte smartphones starting at under $50 bucks. new smartphones. new plans. new ways to do everything for less with tracfone. available at walmart
9:47 pm
"c"you don't want to drive old cheblue forever, do you?"e!" "turn it off." "i did." "credit karma huh?" "yea, it's free." "that was easy." "credit karma. give yourself some credit."
9:48 pm
9:49 pm
9:50 pm
last week we updated you on the murder mystery that captivated this nation. the 15-year-old case of d.c. intern chandra levy was abruptly dismissed based on new evidence. over the weekend, the man previously convicted of levy's murder was released from jail and placed in the custody of immigration officials. he's expected to be a free man now. tonight in a kelly file exclusive, chandra levy's parents, susan and robert, are here. but first trace gallagher has the story. trace. >> reporter: megyn, the reason ingmar guandique is no longer facing murder charges in the death of chandra levy is because his 2010 conviction was based largely on the testimony of his former cell mate, armando morales, who told the jury that
9:51 pm
guandique confessed to killing levy. but numerous reports say a neighbor of morales secretly recorded him weeks ago saying he made the whole thing up in exchange for better conditions. now for chandra's parents, who have already endured a public investigation, lengthy trial, and intense media scrutiny, the nightmare of their daughter's murder has resurfaced, or as susan levy says, quoting, it kind of puts you back to the level of grief that you originally had. as for robert levy, he says regardless of the recordings, he is still convinced guandique is the killer and that lead detectives on the case agree with him. he also questions proller's intentions, asking, quote, who is this woman? what is her motivation for doing this? the case is already solved. you have to wonder why a person would do that. now guandique will be deported back to el salvador, and the levys, who are already heartbroken, can add anger and disappointment to that list.
9:52 pm
>> unbelievable. trace, thank you. joining me now, chandra levy's parents, susan and robert levy, thank you so much for being here on what is obviously a difficult matter for you. let me start with you on this, susan. do you believe -- why do you believe that this man, guandique, is chandra's killer notwithstanding the fact that t told, based on the testimony of this person who has now been outed as a liar? >> i don't know for sure, but it seems like the prosecutors have enough evidence. i will always ask myself why a scream from the apartment at 911 call from there and no tape. but if he is the killer, i'm quite concerned that he could come back into the country and do more acts. as i understand, he was once
9:53 pm
deported, and i have to say that i'm very surprised when donald trump was at the convention, when he was talking, he said about illegal immigrants, i really thought, well, you know what? he might be somewhat right. there are some people, not all immigrants, but there are people that can do bad things, and they could be unsafe, and they can come into the country and -- >> and we saw that. even if he didn't kill chandra, you know, he was convicted, but now it's been overturned. he attacked two other women in rock creek park, bob, and he was in the country illegally. now he goes back to el salvador, but he's going to be free. >> yeah. that's a problem. you know, he was rightly convicted before. a lot of circumstantial evidence because he's the one in the park that was attacking women and chandra was there and was found there.
9:54 pm
all the evidence pointed to him. there was nobody else doing it, certainly not gary condit, although he was not necessarily a nice person, but he wasn't involved directly. >> can you speak to that because a lot of people remember that she was having a relationship with him, a romantic relationship with him, and so many people believed and the defense argued that he might -- that congressman condit might be the killer. >> yeah. but there was never any evidence for that. he's not necessarily a nice guy, but there was certainly no evidence of that, you know. there was a lot of evidence against guandique. in fact, the witness who testified against him was probably telling the truth, and then this lady comes by, and she secretly tapes him, which is illegal in maryland, and she convinces him to say things he wouldn't ordinarily say. i don't think he ever said that he lied about guandique. i think he may have said other things that the prosecution says he seemed like a guy who turned
9:55 pm
around, and then he was talking all this bad talk to this lady that somehow -- >> the key witness, armando morales, says in the recordings that he did lie. susan, go ahead, i'll give you the last word, ma'am. >> this lady is -- you mentioned susan. her name is -- she has a couple of names. bab washington, when she contacted me, and her real name is barbara. how do you say it? >> who knows? i mean she's got some other names, too, and she's had some record. so who know what's her motives were? who knows who hired her or who did that? >> it was a little odd that it was -- >> why would she even do that. >> i got to go. i'm out of time. i want to tell you both, susan and bob, our condolences to you. thank you for speaking out and so sorry this has brought up the grief on the loss of your daughter. we'll be right back.
9:56 pm
narrator: one in six seniors faces the threat of hunger, and millions more live in isolation. harvey: america, let's do lunch. narrator: drop off a hot meal and say a quick hello. volunteer for meals on wheels by donating your lunch break at americaletsdolunch.org. that's why a cutting edgeworld. university counts on centurylink to keep their global campus connected. and why a pro football team chose us to deliver fiber-enabled broadband to more than 65,000 fans. and why a leading car brand counts on us to keep their dealer network streamlined and nimble. businesses count on communication, and communication counts on centurylink.
9:57 pm
♪ ♪ ♪ ♪ geico motorcycle, great rates for great rides. and an early morning mode.ode.
9:58 pm
and a partly sunny mode. and an outside... to clear inside mode. transitions® signature adaptive lenses... ...are more responsive than ever. so why settle for a lens with just one mode? experience life well lit®. ...upgrade your lenses to transitions® signature. now get up to a $90 rebate by mail. when you purchase glasses and sunglasses featuring select brands. ask your eyecare professional or visit transitions.com for details.
9:59 pm
10:00 pm
we are getting lots of feedback on the trump/khan family controversy. if you have thoughts on it, go to facebook.com/the kelly file. follow me on twitter @megyn kelly. thanks for watching. i'm megyn kelly. welcome to "hannity," and tonight the 2016 national conventions are now officially in the books. the polls are extremely tight, and we are only 98 days away from election day. joining us now is the republican nominee for president, donald trump. mr. trump, good to see you, sir. >> thank you, sean. >> i saw big crowds at both events you had today. the real clear politics average is dead even. the l.a. times tracking poll had you beating hillary every day but one for the month of july. i'm sure you're probably mad about that one day if you know

96 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on